Friday, March 13, 2009

Mary Poppins


I just got back from Mary Poppins tonight. I thought it was fabulous! Very fun. It's funny- Auntie Myrna gave me the book Mary Poppins Comes Back, which is the second book in the series. I'm about halfway through it. The musical pulled some stories from the books that weren't part of the movie version, as far as I remember. For instance, last night I was reading about Mr. Banks' stern and mean nanny from his childhood, Miss Andrews, who came back to "visit." They had her in the musical, who blew us away with her wretched, but powerful singing. Of course, when they all went into Bert's painting, Emily and I both were disturbed by the naked statue who started dancing. We thought the penguins were better as waiters, like in the movie.... But other than that, we both enjoyed it! At the end, Mary Poppins, with her "practically perfect" posture, floated up over the audience and into the roof somewhere. Great ending. They added some new songs that were nice too, such as "Anything can happen" or something like that. Definitely more substance, story-wise and musically, than Wicked. We thought anyway.

5 comments:

Beth said...

I really enjoyed Wicked, so if this one's better -- wow! It looks like a lot of fun. Except for maybe the naked statue. Weird.

Anonymous said...

So fun. I'll be glad when my schooling days are over and I can actually start doing fun things like this again! lol.

Myrna said...

I'm glad you are enjoying the book--you will have to get the first one, too! And the new musical sounds great, but a naked statue?! I bought the sound recording for the music library, but don't think that out here in the west I will get to see the actual musical anytime soon, though I guess that Wicked is coming this way soon.

Michelle said...

How fun!!

L&C said...

I don't remember a naked statue when we saw it in London. Maybe they have Americanized it for here! Dad and I thought it was just fabulous. I liked it better than Les Mis and I loved Les Mis. Like you said, it had more substance than the movie. More family. It was rather surprising for a modern play. xxxox