Saturday, October 27, 2007

First Man on the Moon


My enthusiasm for space and astronomy was recently rekindled as I watched a documentary on the Apollo 11 mission. I was actually preparing for my reading class, and I wanted to show a clip of Neil Armstrong on the moon. The black-and-white footage really thrilled me. Actually, what thrilled me more was the part about an earlier mission, and how on Christmas Day, one of the astronauts quoted from Genesis, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. In the beginning, the earth was void and without form... And God said, 'Let there be light, and there was light.'" It gave me a little chill to hear those words spoken from space, and seeing the views of the distant earth. I can only imagine how exciting it was for them in the 1960's to actually reach space and the moon.

I then started to read a biography of Neil Armstrong and the other astronauts. I can't believe that in 1969, there computer systems actually did allow them to land on the moon, and return home. Although, what a price to pay. I think that Neil Armstrong's dedication to space might have cost him his family. I'm not sure, but it sounds like he was pretty preoccupied with work.

Nevertheless, I could tell the the hand of the Lord was over that space mission. It is His heaven, so I'm sure He was in control.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

It always amazes me to! What a time to live in!

Michelle said...

Did you know that Neil Armstrong was here last week? They dedicated the new Neil Armstrong building on campus (he's an alumni). I guess he even went to the homecoming football afterwards and gave a little speech (we could have been there... but thought it would be raining). They had an article about him (of course) in the newspaper. I didn't know that he hates publicity and that he refuses to sign autographs because he found out people were forging them and selling them on the internet. He sounds like a cool guy.

(I didn't even know he was alive still... I probably shouldn't admit that!)